Sunday 20 December 2009

Listen to my explanation..I've cooked the turkey but not for christmast.

It (the quite a confussion of cooking matter) started yesterday, when I went for shopping (some household and kitchen needs) with a friend around Dubai after work. Then we were subjected the Christmast sale that happening almost all around the world, not only in Dubai. She, I called her Maia excitedly briefed how to cook a roasted turkey as a compulsary food on Christmast eve.To comfort her, especially when thinking of it can be a way of silent dakwah by not condemning something odd and bad about her culture and lifestyle (this for me, shows Islam are asimilisable to everybody,people in any country from any race) I did, listened carefully to what she was talking about.

And after a few steps of walking passed the chicken, meat etc. section, she suddenly forced me to buy a turkey, just to make sure that I'll try to cook the recipe that she just had mentioned. So, with a heart full of 'rasa serba salah' I bought a turkey. Brought it home and put in the refrigerator.

This morning after solving my loundry and having breakfast, again Maia texted me just to remind me the recipe she gave me last night. She was so serious about that! And I felt just like...OMG, how am I going to lie her and pretend that I've cooked what she teached me last night. How could I lie to her? She is a good friend even she is not muslim. Even she can't see and ensure what I cook today, but I think it will be not fair if I lie to her saying that I've tried the recipe. I replied her, "Yes.Definitely I'll try your recipe. Thanks buddy"

So, I decided to cook the turkey, according to the recipe she mentioned last night. And the result wasn't so bad. As I felt impressed of myself and the turkey too. But I did asked AbuHanaan to ensure that nothing can be wrong and bringing to sin if I cook the way non muslim cook (excluded the wine that they put inside the dishes-I really didn't do this ok). And AbuHanaan replied with the reason, nothing wrong with that as long as I'm not celebrating Christmast too. So I'm relieved. I cooked well (as what have been typed above) and planning to eat alone.

Soon after Zuhur prayer, someone knocked my door. And what a surprise! Maia came with a basket of fresh fruits. Haha...Once again...Ya Allah...I'm so relieved. She came without warning and I didn't lie and even pretended to her that I've cooked the turkey following her recipe. I don't need to lie because I really have cooked the turkey according to her recipe.Alhamdulillah. No lie, no pain, no one get hurt. We ate together happily and she said the roasted turkey (that I've prepared) reminded to her late grandma.

Now I'm imagining:

If I lied to her saying I cooked the turkey by her way even I wasn't.

Things like these would happen:

If even she didn't come to my apartment
-I've commited a sin
-It was just like betraying a good friend
-It is a quite pathetic when she assumes you're a good muslim, a good muslim never lies, but you did.

If she comes to my apartment (she did) and tend to know that I've lied to her
-The first 1-3 points above also happen
-My credibility as a silent dai'e would be demolished. She (as a non-muslim) wouldn't be interested anymore in finding the truth of Islam (even I know) for her to find the 'nur' of Islam might take quite a sometime (might be long or just a little, Allah knows best). She will say something like this (might be) : Farah looks like a good girl, a good muslim (insya Allah) but she lied to me just because a roasted turkey. I'll trust her no more.

See?

It is just a simple matter bringing to a hectic and complicated result. As a muslim we (you and me) should show a good example to others (non muslim especially). Dakwah isn't just telling the nas from Al Quran and As-Sunnah but it is wider than that. What you've done. What you're doing. What you said, what you're saying. Who knows, your words, your did can be a silent dakwah for others.